Second Language Acquisition (English): Teaching Methodology and AssessmentModule Details
Course Title: Second Language Acquisition (English): Teaching Methodology and Assessment
Course Code: UU-PED-2020-MW
This module introduces student teachers to the methods of teaching and assessing English in primary school, highlighting that although English is the official language of instruction in Malawi, as per the Education Act of 2013, it is for the vast majority of students a second language. English is widely used within Malawi and around the world, and this module prepares student teachers for the important role of teaching primary school learners how to speak, understand, read and write in English.
This module aims to provide student teachers with an adequate understanding of the English language and associated pedagogy so they can teach it in primary schools and help their learners gain skills in speaking, listening, understanding, reading and writing in English.
Module Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the module, students should be able to:
1. Describe the origins of languages and their importance in human communication.
2. Outline the history of English as a global language in a postcolonial world.
3. Assess the importance of English in Malawi’s education system and policy formulation.
4. Identify the core components of language teaching:
5. Analyse the principles and theories of language acquisition.
6. Apply knowledge of the neuroscience of reading and writing in teaching, learning and assessment.
7. Apply the alphabetic principle in teaching.
8. Design lessons for the purposes of teaching English
9. Analyse reading- and writing-related learning difficulties.
10. Apply knowledge of reading, writing and assessment in the digital age.
11. Examine supplementary reading materials.
Prerequisites Categories: Year 1
Typical Module duration: 7.0 Week(s)