Current Perspectives in Information Technology ResearchModule Details
Course Title: Current Perspectives in Information Technology Research
Course Code: UU-PhD-805
This module gives students insight and knowledge, from a wide range of examples, into the types of research questions that are currently being addressed and the methodological challenges being faced in Information Technology research. Students will be encouraged to identify and apply examples that relate to their chosen research topic. Furthermore, the module develops students’ ability to engage with, critique and respond effectively to presentations of research. Students will apply their learning from this module and from PhD 801 on Research Methods through the development of a draft research plan.
Aims of the module
This module is intended to develop and extend the student’s knowledge and critical awareness of a broad range of research topics and associated methodological approaches available in Information Technology research. This will be achieved through sampling a wide range of examples of current research in Information Technology. It will assist the student to develop a draft research plan.
Upon completion of this module, the student should be able to:
1. Demonstrate an awareness of the issues currently being researched within Information Technology
2. Demonstrate an awareness of the methodological challenges associated with Information Technology research
3. Evaluate Information Technology research projects and publications
4. Evaluate the methodology and methods utilised in Information Technology research projects and publications
5. Critique research, evaluate arguments and assess research publications and presentations
6. Evaluate research, and communicate this analysis effectively
7. Identify knowledge gaps in scholarly research in Information Technology through literature review.
8. Debate ethical issues to research.
9. Create annotated bibliographies.
10. Demonstrate independent/self-directed learning skills, including time-management and working with deadlines
11. Apply learning to the student’s self-experience of Information Technology
12. Display the critical elements of a research plan relevant to the student’s dissertation
Prerequisites Categories: -
Typical Module duration: 8.0 Week(s)