ProgrammesModule: Artificial Intelligence and Compiler Design
Course Title: Artificial Intelligence and Compiler Design
Course Code: UU-COM-4022-MW
Programme: Bachelor of Science (BSc) in Computer Science - MW
Artificial Intelligence (AI) and accompanying tools and techniques bring transformational changes in the world. Machines’ capability to match, and sometimes even surpass human capability, make AI a hot topic in Computer Science. This module introduces the students to this interesting area.
This Module aims at equipping students with theory and practice of Artificial Intelligence and provide an understanding of the fundamental issues associated with the field such as problems and search, knowledge representation and reasoning, rule-based systems etc. It also illustrates the designing of a compiler.
Module Learning Outcomes
After completing the module students should be able to:
- Describe AI and different search algorithms used for solving problems.
- Explain various learning algorithms and models used in machine learning.
- Define problems in terms of a formal representation
- Develop suitable heuristic functions for informed search
- Implement a solution to a problem using searching
- Explain the fundamentals of rule-based systems
- Explain the various approaches to uncertain reasoning and apply them to problems
- Demonstrate the various stages of the basic language translation process (lexical parsing, code generation, optimization) and machine-dependent vs. Machine independent aspect of translation
- Analyse the underlying formal models such as finite state automata and their connection to language definition through regular expressions and grammars
- Produce a semantically equivalent target program, given an intermediate representation, along with symbol table information, design and implement a simple language translator using automated tools, such as lexical and parser generators
Prerequisites: UU-BA-IND100, UU-FNT-103
Prerequisites Categories: Year 1, Year 2, Year 3
Typical Module duration: 7.0 Week(s)