ProgrammesModule: Data Structures and Algorithms
Course Title: Data Structures and Algorithms
Course Code: UU-COM-2012-MW
Programme: Bachelor of Science (BSc) in Computer Science - MW
This module provides an understanding of data structures and algorithms and its significance in programming. It gives a holistic approach to design, implement and use the various data types and algorithms to solve problems.
This Module aims at equipping students with skills to use algorithms and data structures to solve real world problems. It also aims at providing an understanding on how to evaluate the efficiency of an algorithm.
Module Learning Outcomes
After completing of this module students should be able to:
- Discuss the use of primitive data types and build-in data structures.
- Program various applications using different data structure
- Implement user-defined data structures in a high-level language.
- Describe the concept of recursion and give examples of its use.
- Compare iterative and recursive solutions and determine when a recursive solution is appropriate for a problem.
- Recognize when and how to use different data structures.
- Determine the time and space complexity of simple algorithms.
- Discuss factors other than computational efficiency that influence the choice of algorithms, such as programming time, maintainability, and the use of application-specific patterns in the input data.
- Describe the amount of work done by an algorithm, giving asymptotic upper, lower, and tight bounds on time and space complexity of algorithms using big O, omega, and theta notation.
- Design algorithms for various scenarios.
- Discuss the computational efficiency of the principal algorithms for sorting, searching, and hashing.
- Demonstrate the following capabilities: to evaluate algorithms, to select from a range of possible options, to provide justification for that selection, and to implement the algorithm in programming context
Prerequisites: UU-BA-IND100, UU-FNT-103
Prerequisites Categories: Year 1
Typical Module duration: 7.0 Week(s)