ProgrammesProgramme: Doctor of Education (EdD) - MW
Required Credits/Units: 360
The Doctor of Education degree is aimed at experienced educational professionals and sets out to place you at the leading edge of your professional field in terms of knowledge, awareness and understanding.
The EdD is for those who are eager to make substantial and original contributions to the development of educational knowledge in a broad range of educational settings including K-12 schools, colleges, universities and governmental organisations.
Delivered through a blend of online interactions and real-world experiences, the EdD program allows students to continue working full time while pursuing a degree that will distinguish them as organisational leaders. Students will explore how learning occurs in formal and informal workplace settings, examine effective strategies for facilitating organisational learning, and learn to create systems that produce more effective, adaptable and competitive organisations.
The degree meets the need for the highest levels of professional development and training of both educators and those concerned with educational policy and administration. The prime focus is on the interplay between the multi-dimensional practices of education and scholarship.
The degree is designed to engage current practitioners with knowledge, awareness and understanding of the philosophical, organisational, political, social, managerial, interpersonal, and technical dimensions of schools and other educational institutions.
Exploration of the nexus between theory and practice begins with a series of online modules that will develop you capability to perceive critical issues facing educators and policymakers today through the lens of contemporary and historical research and philosophy. This broad foundation will enable you to hone your specific interests towards the conduct of supervised research that will make an original contribution to your field.
- A high-level academic study of a range of educational and professional issues
- Four tutored units and a supervised research component
- Will enable you to make a contribution to knowledge through unit assignments, and through your dissertation
- Focus on the interplay and relationship between professional practice and scholarship.
Applications for doctorate study are accepted all year round.
The entry requirements for admission to a Doctorate degree programme include:
· An accredited Master’s degree in a relevant subject area. Students may be considered for doctorate study if their degree is in an unrelated field provided, they have relevant professional experience and can prove their ability to work at doctorate level. A wide range of international qualifications may also be considered. Students are advised to contact the Office of Admissions to find out more about the range of international academic qualifications accepted.
· Official Master’s degree transcripts
· Recognized proof of English proficiency if previous studies were not taught in the English language. Otherwise, an IELTS score 6.5 (with a minimum of 6.5 in the writing component and no individual component lower than 6.0) is required; or an English Placement Test result with a 6.5 equivalence (provided no score in each individual component is less than 6.0).
· Personal Statement of Statement of Purpose (minimum 500 words)
· Current CV
· Two official letters of recommendation (one academic and one professional)
· Research proposal or project outline
· Evidence of ability to undertake independent research
· Copy of valid passport of national ID
All applicants who satisfy the above listed requirements are invited to an interview where a final admission decision will be made.
|Course Code||Course Title||Credits|
|Course Code||Course Title||Credits|
|UU-EDUD-801||Educational Research: Philosophy and Practice||30.00|
|UU-EDUD-802||Managing Teaching and Learning Methods||30.00|
|UU-EDUD-803||Educational Policy: Theory and Practice||30.00|
|UU-EDUD-804||Educational Management, Leadership and Administration||30.00|
|UU-EDUD-895||EdD Comprehensive Examination||0.00|
|UU-EDUD-900-1||EdD Dissertation (Part 1)||60.00|
|UU-EDUD-900-2||EdD Dissertation (Part 2)||60.00|
|UU-EDUD-900-3||EdD Dissertation (Part 3)||60.00|
|UU-EDUD-900-4||EdD Dissertation (Part 4)||60.00|
|UU-EDUD-995||EdD Doctoral Dissertation Examination||0.00|