ProgrammesModule: Introduction to Hospitality
Course Title: Introduction to Hospitality
Course Code: UU-HOM-1000
Programme: Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Hospitality Management - MW - BL
Objectives of the Course:
Provide the student with an introduction to the world of business and particularly
to business as it applies to the hospitality industry. More specifically, the course
will provide an opportunity for you
• Become acquainted with the social, economic and environmental context within
which the hospitality industry operates
• Understand the structure, nature and operating characteristics of the different
sectors of the hospitality industry: food service, lodging and tourism
• Obtain an appreciation of the various functions of management and their
interrelationships with other key concerns of managers such as marketing, finance
and human resource management
• Be able to identify the role of managers in the hospitality industry and to highlight
their principal responsibilities
• Provide an opportunity for further developing those skills which are important to
learning, e.g. library skills, study skills, and so forth
• Be able to judge whether the hospitality profession suits your abilities, tastes, and career interests
1. Explain the relation of lodging and food service operations to the travel and
2. Describe the role of the travel and tourism industry and its economic impact on the
local, national and international levels.
3. Cite opportunities for education, training and career development in the hospitality
4. Demonstrate knowledge of the history of the lodging and food service industry.
5. Analyze, evaluate and discuss several aspects, development and trends which have
affected lodging and food service operations in recent years and which will continue
to have an impact on the industry in the future.
6. Distinguish and oppose the effect on the industry of franchising, management
contracts, referral organizations, independent and chain ownership and
7. Endorse the general classifications of hotels and describe the most distinctive
features of each.
8. Describe the seven common divisions or functional areas of the hotel
organization (Rooms, Food and Beverage, Engineering and Maintenance,
Marketing and Sales, Accounting, Human Resources, and Security) and explain the
responsibilities and activities of each.
9. List departments found in each hotel division.
10. Outline and explain the main classifications of food service.
11. Describe the organization, structure and functional areas in commercial and
institutional food service operation.
12. Discuss aspects of food and beverage controls, which pertain to food and beverage sales, payroll planning and production standards.
Prerequisites: UU-ACG-1000, UU-MKT-2000, UU-MAN-2010, UU-BBA-2000, UU-ENG-1000, UU-ENG-1001, UU-ENG-1005, UU-COM-1000, UU-MTH-1000, UU-MTH-1005, UU-MTH-2000, UU-MTH-3000, UU-HRM-2045, UU-BA-IND100, UU-FNT-103