ProgrammesModule: Food Science
Course Title: Food Science
Course Code: UU-HOM-1010
Programme: Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Hospitality Management - MW
Objectives of the Course:
• Determine the principles of food production, food storage, food preparation and food
• Explain the principles behind meal planning, the role of the nutritional value of foods
and how this affects food service operations.
• Identify sanitation and safety principles as well as discuss relevant hygiene issues
• Discuss the associations between food and technology and their importance.
• Discuss matters surrounding dietary recommendations and how these relate to menu
planning and food service operations.
• Recognize different types of foods (food commodities), their functions and different uses.
1. State the basic principles of food science and how this relates to the hospitality industry.
2. Identify the essentials of food hygiene and comprehend the principles of proper food
storage and preservation to avoid any form of food contamination.
3. Comprehend the basics of food production and gain a broad understanding of food
commodities used in quantity food production.
4. Develop new menus using all the food ingredients discussed.
5. Explain the new concept of Gastronomy and its relationship to tourism.
6. Recognize HACCP rules and regulations and implement all these in the Hotel Industry.
Prerequisites: UU-ACG-1000, UU-MKT-2000, UU-MAN-2010, UU-BBA-2000, UU-ENG-1000, UU-ENG-1001, UU-ENG-1005, UU-COM-1000, UU-MTH-1000, UU-MTH-1005, UU-MTH-2000, UU-MTH-3000, UU-HOM-1000, UU-HRM-2045, UU-BA-IND100, UU-FNT-103, UU-ACG-1001-BHM