ProgrammesModule: Theories of Management
Course Title: Theories of Management
Course Code: UU-MBA-712-MW
The module introduces students to the most influential management theories and philosophies. In addition, it examines the history of management theory and at the same time uses this to illustrate emerging concepts in the field of management study.
The aim of the module is enhancing students’ understanding of theories of management as well as equipping students with a range of research philosophies and different methodological approaches to theories of management.
Course Learning Outcomes
After completion of the module students should be able to:
1. Demonstrate an understanding of both the evolution of management thought and the relevance of theory to exploring business practice
2. Distinguish leadership and management styles and determine to which style they are best suited
3. Analyze the personal qualities of an effective leader and apply these to their own leadership roles and styles
4. Evaluate the importance of teamwork within an organization, and the elements of effective team dynamics
5. Demonstrate competence in planning, and managing resources, people and performance Discuss the role of strategic planning in an organization, including identifying the context for change, applying knowledge and evidence, making decisions and assessing the impact of change on the organization
Prerequisites: UU-M-IND100, UU-FNT-203