ProgrammesModule: Introduction to Statistical Methods I
Course Title: Introduction to Statistical Methods I
Course Code: UU-MTH-2000
Programme: Bachelor of Science (BSc) in Computer Science - MW - BL
Objectives of the Course:
• Make students aware of the concept of measures of central tendency and variation.
• Make students aware of elementary probability theory.
• Cover in detail all aspects of the binomial and the normal random variables and distributions.
• Thoroughly discuss estimation and hypothesis testing.
1. Explain the meaning of statistical measures and compute measures of central tendency and variation from data.
2. Solve basic theoretical and empirical probability problems
3. Demonstrate the basic concept of discrete and continuous random variables.
4. Compute Probabilities for the binomial distribution and for the normal distribution.
5. Compute confidence intervals.
6. Execute hypothesis testing on the value of the population mean.
Prerequisites: UU-MAN-2010, UU-ENG-1000, UU-ENG-1001, UU-COM-1000, UU-MTH-1000, UU-BA-IND100, UU-FNT-103