ProgrammesModule: Introduction to Information Technology
Course Title: Introduction to Information Technology
Course Code: UU-COM-1010-MW
Programme: Bachelor of Science (BSc) in Supply Chain Management and Logistics - MW
This introductory course in Information Technology is designed to introduce students to the world of digital technology and expose them to systems and applications that will be of great use in their workplace and career in general.
The main objectives of the course are:
- To introduce students to the digital world by considering fundamental computer hardware and the most popular microcomputer applications.
- To explain systems and applications software.
- To introduce and practice file management, data storage and security principles.
- To consider basic operating system features (using the Windows environment).
- To give students hands-on experience on popular application software packages, which may include word processing, electronic spreadsheets, database management, presentation graphics, statistical applications and other.
- To apply knowledge learned to applications specific to Supply Chain Management and/or Logistics.
- To explore the Internet and the World Wide Web (WWW) using browser software for exploration and searching.
- To introduce e-mail, newsgroups, multimedia, and other Internet services and resources.
- To introduce computer-assisted and distance learning; the university’s InterLearning environment.
Prerequisites: UU-BA-IND100, UU-FNT-103