ProgrammesModule: Food and Beverage Control for the Hospitality Industry
Course Title: Food and Beverage Control for the Hospitality Industry
Course Code: UU-HOM-4080
Programme: Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Hospitality Management - MW
Objectives of the Course:
• Help to prepare students to meet the challenges associated with the Food and Beverage Industry.
• Students will gain a basic understanding of the Food and Beverage industry by analyzing the industry’s :
o growth and development,
o reviewing its organizational structure,
o investigating its relationship with the hotel’s other departments,
o And by focusing on industry opportunities and future trends.
1. Develop general knowledge on the origins and development of food service in hotels, restaurants, and institutions.
2. Describe the economic impact of the F&B industry.
3. Distinguish between commercial and institutional food service facilities.
4. Identify trends likely to affect food service in the coming years.
5. Identify a variety of managerial, production, and service positions that are typical of the food service industry and describe the roles these positions play in providing food service.
6. Describe managerial responsibilities as they relate to food service functions including menu planning, purchasing, storing, preparation, and recipe development.
7. Define the steps involved in menu planning and menu design.
8. Define the importance and role of Food and Beverage marketing.
9. Identify the major functions and basic principles of Food and Beverage production.
10. Identify and describe the four types of table service and at least two other food service categories.
11. Review the fundamentals of Food and Beverage Management and Control.
12. Describe proper sanitation, hygiene and safety procedures and techniques used on the Food and Beverage industry
Prerequisites: UU-ACG-1000, UU-MKT-2000, UU-MAN-2010, UU-BBA-2000, UU-ENG-1000, UU-ENG-1001, UU-ENG-1005, UU-COM-1000, UU-MTH-1000, UU-MTH-1005, UU-MTH-2000, UU-MTH-3000, UU-HOM-1000, UU-HOM-1010, UU-HOM-2010, UU-HOM-2020, UU-HOM-3000, UU-HOM-3005, UU-HOM-3010, UU-HRM-2000, UU-HRM-2037, UU-HRM-2045, UU-HRM-3040, UU-HRM-3070, UU-HRM-2046, UU-BA-IND100, UU-FNT-103, UU-ACG-1001-BHM, UU-PSH-1000-BHM, UU-PSH-1100-BHM, UU-SOC-1000-BHM, UU-MAN-4000-BHM