ProgrammesModule: Academic Writing
Course Title: Academic Writing
Course Code: UU-ENG-1002-MW
Programme: Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Business Administration - MW
The module is designed to facilitate the process of transition into the new academic and cultural environment for the new students enrolled in a Bachelor degree programme at Unicaf University and help establish their confidence in academic writing. The module will consolidate various forms of English Language, including grammatical items, writing processes, essay types, and parts of an essay. Students will be exposed to various genres of academic writing, referencing and bibliography, and how to avoid plagiarism.
The module aims to develop the students’ academic reading and writing to enable them to use academic materials more effectively for their own academic progression.
.Module Learning Outcomes
By the completion of this module students will be able to:
- Identify grammatical errors in any written text;
- Demonstrate an awareness of the writing process, sentence structure, punctuation and spelling;
- Compose different types of effective outlines and understandable, coherent paragraphs that have a clearly stated topic sentence;
- Compose well-developed common essay genres with a clearly stated thesis statement;
- Compose introductions, body paragraphs and conclusions for essays;
- Develop techniques in essay writing to avoid plagiarism (paraphrasing, summarizing, quoting);
- Recognize and correct fragments, comma splices, and run-on sentences;
- Employ the most effective words(diction) for concise writing;
- Apply in-text citation in essays in the APA style;
- Reduce quotations in essay writing;
- Develop academic reading and writing that will allow students to use materials more effectively in their own academic progression;
- Compile a bibliography acknowledging sources in research reports.
Prerequisites: UU-BA-IND100, UU-FNT-103
Prerequisites Categories: -
Typical Module duration: 7.0