Education Leadership and ManagementModule Details
Course Title: Education Leadership and Management
Course Code: UU-PED-4030-MW
The module presents a diversity of views, theories, and approaches as to what constitutes educational leadership and management in an educational institution and how these contribute to effective learning. Application of these theories are considered and contextualized to the classroom level. The complexity of school leadership is considered with reference to research and the need to demonstrate educational productivity by schools and associated institutions.
The aim of the module is for student teachers to understand the concepts underlining educational leadership and management knowledge in order to enable educational administrators to evaluate appropriately the use of management techniques; to analyze the influence of educational management in educational organisations and; to plan and manage the available records in the school.
Upon successful completion of the module, students are expected to be able to:
1. Discuss the basics of management, administration, educational management and leadership.
2. Demonstrate an understanding of an educational organisation, and evolution of management thought
3. Discuss issues contributing to organisational behaviour
4. Compare and contrasts functions of management and leadership.
5. Distinguish between leadership and management styles and determine to which style they are best suited
6. Explore different models of educational management,
7. Assess the Role of leadership in decision making, and management of change.
8. Determine how a school leader affects the management of a school.
9. Evaluate School – Community management and partnership
10. Appreciate the importance of school records, and school budgets.
11. Plan and manage resources, people and performance
12. Discuss professional development and performance
13. Examine the importance of entrepreneurial leadership
14. Identify measures and indicators of successful school leadership and management
Prerequisites Categories: Year 1, Year 2, Year 3
Typical Module duration: 7.0 Week(s)