Action Research Methodology I: Development of Action Research ProposalModule Details
Course Title: Action Research Methodology I: Development of Action Research Proposal
Course Code: UU-ARM–4011-MW
The module provides an overview of generic research processes and methodology, extending it to research by teachers and educators to improve the quality of education. The module reviews qualitative and quantitative research methods and designs, and the nature of action of research. It provides steps for designing action research in the school and in the classroom, models of action research, and epistemological underpinnings of action research, culminating in the development of an action research project.
The aim of this module is to give student teachers an introduction to generic research processes and methodologies and the concept and practice of school-based action research, culminating in the design of a research project to be undertaken throughout their final year.
Module Learning Outcomes
After completing the module students should be able to:
1. Distinguish between the concepts of research and action research
2. Describe the steps of a scientific investigation.
3. Articulate the nature of action research
4. Apply research designs and epistemological underpinnings
5. Apply statistical analysis to a given data set
6. Analyse data and provide an interpretation with visualisation.
7. Explore models of action research
8. Develop a classroom-based action research proposal.
Prerequisites Categories: Year 1, Year 2, Year 3
Typical Module duration: 7.0 Week(s)