Social Studies, Religious Studies, and Life Skills Education: Teaching Methodology and AssessmentModule Details
Course Title: Social Studies, Religious Studies, and Life Skills Education: Teaching Methodology and Assessment
Course Code: UU-PED-3020-MW
This module introduces student teachers to the content for social studies, religious education, and life skills. Social studies in the primary school curriculum comprises geography, history, and civics. This module focuses on history and geography, as civics appears in a separate module combined with citizenship. This module also introduces student teachers to methods for teaching and assessment in social studies, religious studies, and life skills with an emphasis placed on students better understanding the world and society in which they live.
The aim of the module is to provide content and methodology for teaching and assessing Social Studies, Religious Studies and Life Skills so that they can help students better understand their world and society and help them develop the character and life skills to succeed in life.
Upon completion of the module, students should be able to:
1. Explain how the subject presented in this module can help students better understand their society and prepare for life.
2. Outline the role of geography and its branches within social studies.
3. Sketch the earth, the earth’s atmosphere, the hydrosphere and the lithosphere.
4. Categorise natural resources and physical features.
5. Design resources for teaching, learning and assessing geography.
6. Justify the study of history in social studies.
7. Trace African and world civilisations and renaissances.
8. Discuss Pan-Africanism and the struggle for the independence of Malawi
9. Outline the early history of Malawi in the context of African civilisations.
10. Identify methods and resources for teaching, learning, and assessing history.
11. Debate the importance of the study of religions.
12. Describe the major religions of Malawi, Africa and the world.
13. Analyse religious scriptures.
14. Identify methods and resources for teaching, learning, and assessing religious studies.
15. Justify the study of Life Skills as a subject in the school curriculum.
16. Evaluate the appropriateness of self-awareness and self-esteem.
17. Relate mental health and coping with emotional stress to social and emotional learning (SEL).
18. Solve problems by applying systematic decision-making skills.
19. Analyse gender roles, sex and sexuality.
20. Apply skills for entrepreneurship and employment.
21. Identify resources and methods for teaching learning and assessing Life Skills.
Prerequisites Categories: Year 1, Year 2
Typical Module duration: 7.0 Week(s)