Mathematics: Teaching Methodology and AssessmentModule Details
Course Title: Mathematics: Teaching Methodology and Assessment
Course Code: UU-PED-2040-MW
This module outlines how numeracy skills are foundational for developing the learner’s capacity for problem solving and deep and critical thinking. It introduces numeracy skills as a building block for mathematical and scientific reasoning in school-work and in day-to-day life. It provides student teachers with the fundamental concepts and principles of numeracy and mathematics, as well as the methodology of teaching these to primary school learners.
The aim of this module is to introduce student teachers to the foundational concepts of numeracy skills and mathematical reasoning, and associated pedagogy so that they can become proficient in the teaching and learning of numeracy and mathematics, while making it meaningful and fun.
Module Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the module, student teachers should be able to:
1. Design numeracy and mathematics lessons that make learning meaningful, relevant and fun.
2. Apply teaching and assessment skills in numbers, number systems and place value.
3. Deliver lessons in mathematics
4. Assess learners’ understanding mathematical concepts
5. Design and/or select instructional materials for mathematics teaching and learning.
Prerequisites Categories: Year 1
Typical Module duration: 7.0 Week(s)